Royal Copenhagen

Royal Copenhagen was founded in 1775 by Frantz Henrich Müller and was housed in Copenhagen next to Rundetårn (The round tower of the Trinitatis Church). In the beginning he received economical help from, among others, the Danish Court. In 1779 the factory was passed to the Danish Royal family under the Queen Mother Juliane Maries personal surveillance and in that way got the name: Royal Copenhagen. The three wave mark at the bottom was supposedly invented by the Queen Mother. The waves were to symbolize Denmarks position as a sea-faring nation at that time.

All through Müllers time from 1775 til 1802 the factory prospered, technically as well as artistically and its acclaim grew rapidly. Müller was a master of ceramic but he also had a unique talent for hiring the right workers for the factory. Among others he was able to hire A.C. Luplau from the higly esteemed Fürstenberg factory. The German sense of form and tradition from Luplau and the Danish development from Müller made a fantastic combination. Müller made the glaze, determined the method for the firing and prepared the colours. Overglaze-paintings were made.
From 1802 to 1885 not much was heard of Royal Copenhagen among other things because of the many wars in Denmark and Europe. There was of course a shortage of money at Royal Copenhagen and a lot of moulds and models were lost under the bombardment of Copenhagen in 1807. Later there was a lack of initiative as well as artistic and technical renewal and changes did not happen until 1884 when Philip Schou took over the factory and moved it to Frederiksberg

Philip Schou had been running the Faience Factory Aluminia since 1868. Now he merged the two factories and suddenly the workers from Royal Copenhagen had a beautiful view of the Frederiksberg Garden and the Zoological Gardens, which probably inspired the artists. They also had an enthusiastic leader. From 1884 to 1885 Royal Copenhagen was compared to the largest of Europes famous porcelain industries: Sévres and Meissen
Philip Schou also connected the architect Arnold Krog with the factory. Schou´s abilities, energy and visions in connection with Krog´s artistic talents were a marvellous combination. This was the beginning of the underglaze-paintings which would soon conquer the world

In 1889 Royal Copenhagen and the Faience Factory Aluminia attracted attention at the World Exhibition in Paris. The factory was awarded the "Grand Prix" – a rare acknowledgment at that time.
Crackled porcelain was manufactured about 1920 after a big effort in development and under close surveillance by Philip Schou.
In 1906 old moulds and formulas from the time of the Queen Mother Juliane Marie had been found. These were copied and exhibited. Also the old overglaze-paintings from the time of Müller were exhibited and to avoid misunderstandings concerning the orginal items from 1775-1802 a crown was placed above the three waves in the mark. In this way the brand which is used to day appeared. It was a huge success which has been preserved right up to today.
Annie's Antique & Deco.

+45 23 31 65 05
annie@anniesantique.com
CVR.nr.: 21078980